Under the general direction of the Unit Director, the Registered
Nurse utilizes the nursing process to identify patient needs,
systematically plan and implement a plan of care and continually
evaluate the results of that care.
- Fosters, participates and is knowledgeable in Shared Governance
as defined at St. Mary s Hospital using the conceptual framework
for nursing practice as a guide. Commits to professional
development and visible leadership. Assumes responsibility and
accountability for own professional practice, continuing education
and competency (i.e., mandatory inservice, staff meetings). Seeks
- Shares expertise and knowledge with coworkers and peers.
Assists in orientation of new nursing personnel. Supports the
activities, decisions and initiative of colleagues
- Utilizes the nursing process to develop a care plan and deliver
patient care. Uses best practice based on literature outcomes,
integrates into care provisions and decision making. Advocates for
patient/family throughout the nursing process. Acts as a clinical
resource to and supervises care delivered by the NA. Delegates work
- Follows hospital/unit directives; e.g. standards, policies,
procedures, protocols. Assumes responsibility for equipment
operation and maintenance. Completes documentation according to
- Demonstrates ability to recognize personal values and beliefs
and recognize own beliefs and values as separate from the patient
- Supports activities of colleagues. Participates in unit and/or
housewide quality improvement measures. Contributes as an effective
team member. Participates in productive/problem solving dialogue
(i.e., offers and/or seeks solutions to issues). Recognizes and
- Participates in at least 50% of unit staff meetings. A minimum
of 3 meetings must be in person, the remainder may be by a remote
option. Access individual unit's methods of communication
- Respects the confidentiality and dignity of patients.
Communicates effectively with customers.
- Performs charge nurse role. Communicates with Nursing
Supervisor at charge nurse meeting each shift and as unit needs
dictate. Assigns and reassigns personnel according to dynamics of
unit to maintain a balanced workload for current shifts. In
collaboration with the Nursing Supervisor, assesses status of unit,
making sure current and following shifts are adequately
- Punctual for reports/breaks. Uses supplies effectively.
Completes work within required shift, i.e., end of shift; OT
minimal or nonexistent.
- Performs other duties as requested.
About SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison:
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Current State of Wisconsin registered nurse license.Must be AHA
BLS and ACLS certified.
St. Mary's is a 440-bed tertiary referral hospital offering
inpatient and outpatient treatment and diagnostic services in
primary care and nearly all specialties. Medical/surgical areas of
special focus include the Family Birth Center, pediatrics,
Neuroscience Center, geriatrics, orthopedics, emergency services
and more. St. Mary's is affiliated with the University of Wisconsin
School of Medicine's three- year family practice residency
Associated topics: cardiothoracic, ccu, coronary, maternal, nurse
rn, recovery, registered nurse, surgery, surgical, tcu